Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A string of unconnected thoughts.

I am proud and thankful to report, first of all, that I have been faithfully spending time with God each day, as I promised I would during Lent. The practice of daily quiet time is new to me, and I am really looking forward to seeing where God leads me as I get more used to taking time out of my day for Him. I've said before that I'm not a morning person, which means that morning devotionals probably won't happen any time soon; however, it seems to work well for me to end my day with some slow, quiet reflection and prayer. I have been following a daily devotional guide online, and I have been reading the daily devotionals that our new minister is sending via email, but when I don't have access to a computer, or when I feel that turning on the computer will be a distraction, I have been journaling and reading scripture. My Sunday school class has been studying the book of Revelation, and it is really interesting to read about the end of times and the return of Jesus during this period leading up to Jesus' death and resurrection. I can't explain it, but it feels almost intentional (on God's part, not ours) that we would enter into this study during Lent.
I love when I read something, scripture or otherwise, and notice that it relates to something else I recently read or heard. For example, a friend and I talked briefly this afternoon about the "backwards way of Jesus," and then the devotional I read tonight addressed the same thing, talking about how Jesus often faced hostility because of the message of love and hope and forgiveness that he preached. I know that those relationships among messages are not coincidences, and I am thankful that God is opening my heart and mind to noticing such things.
On another note, I am getting ready to spend the rest of my spring break on a pseudo-camping adventure with some coworkers. I have spent the majority of the day getting ready for the trip--baking green cookies for St. Patrick's Day, digging through my parents' garage in search of lawn games and a fire pit, fretting that the clothes I've packed won't be warm enough. Why is packing always so stressful? I really just want to pack a hammock and my copy of The Irresistible Revolution and be done with it, but I can never just let things be that easy (also, I don't have a hammock). I am looking forward to spending a few days out in nature, though, seeking the presence of God among the beautiful early-spring surroundings and fellowshipping with some great friends (even if it comes at the cost of missing some crucial March Madness games). I hope to come back from my encounter with nature feeling refreshed and renewed, ready to continue on my Lenten journey and ready to return to work with my heart in a good place.

No comments:

Post a Comment