Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Time is (not) on my side.

I have identified a situation in which I am most certainly not peaceful: driving. And this may actually tie in with my time management issues, at least part of the time anyway. Sometimes there are just bad drivers on the road, but that is a post for another day. Yet other times, as was the case yesterday afternoon, I just don't manage my travel time well and I find myself stressing out behind the wheel. Yesterday I had an appointment at 4:15. I knew I would have to leave work by 3:30 in order to drive all the way across town and make it to my appointment on time. I hate being late. I think it is so disrespectful to be late for an appointment. It basically says "my job and my time are much more important than yours." (Again, another post for another day. How easily I digress.) So naturally, I didn't walk out the door until 3:45. I stressed and fretted as I wove my way across town, inevitably getting stopped at every red light. Literally, every light turned red as I approached it. I was six minutes late to my appointment, and I was so frustrated with myself (and traffic) and so not calm.

This is also pretty much how my morning commute goes. If I know I need to walk out the door at 7:30, why do I stay in bed until 6:30? Why do I hit the snooze button for 45 minutes? Maybe I just need a simple math lesson: If I get up at 6:30 and it takes me one hour and twelve minutes to get ready, and it takes me 15 minutes (on a good day) to drive to work, what time will I arrive? Or, how late will I be? I mean, really. I have no one to blame but myself. This inability to leave my home on time makes for a very hectic driving situation. I'm not an aggressive driver. I don't cut people off or honk or yell obscenities. I just arrive at work feeling very frazzled, and that's not a good way to start a peace-filled day, now, is it? And this problem could be solved so easily: get yourself out of bed, you lazy bum!

No comments:

Post a Comment