Monday, June 6, 2011

Reunited (with my Mac) and it feels so good.

After two painful weeks of separation, my trusty MacBook and I are back together! I had to turn it in for a tune-up, and my awesome techy friends did a splendid job. Of course, every day that I have been without it, I have had lots of ideas for wonderful blog posts; now that I'm sitting here typing, I can't think of a single thing worth saying.

I'm sure inspiration will come soon. I've started reading Rob Bell's new book, Love Wins, and I know that when I get further into the book I will have a lot to say. I highly recommend reading it. I heard there was a lot of controversy surrounding the book--Rob pretty much turns our typical views of heaven and hell upside down, and apparently that makes people pretty mad. But I think he makes some great points, and I'm only halfway through.

I especially like what Rob has to say about the concept of creating heaven here on earth. Rob points out that there is a heaven somewhere else, but there will also be a heaven here on earth sometime in the future. He talks about the different things we do that keep us from achieving heaven on earth, and he says it's those things--worry, greed, hate--that make us unworthy of being a part of what's to come. I'm paraphrasing (a lot) but that really hit home with me. What will it be like to exist in a world where there is no worry? What will it be like to rely fully on God, to trust him completely, without that little shadow of doubt that always seems to be present? The other day, a friend and I were discussing a situation in which I've been struggling to relinquish control. I pray constantly about it; I pray boldly for what I want, and I pray for God's will to be done, but after that I still worry about what will happen if things don't go the way I want them to. I made the comment that worry is what is currently keeping me from achieving my own personal heaven on earth. Why is it still so hard for me to trust God completely?

No comments:

Post a Comment